Celebratory plans and events continue as we mark the 175th anniversary of the founding of Second Presbyterian Church of Chicago on June 1, 1842.
The 175th Anniversary Quilt featuring 175 angels was proudly displayed for the first time at the June 4 Rededication Service. Now it is on its way to completion. Professional quilter Jan Hobson is doing the finishing work. Many members of the church, including children, and friends completed angel squares for the quilt. The totally assembled and finished quilt will be on permanent display in Fellowship Hall.
Second Presbyterian Church was organized on June 1, 1842 and has been a functioning house of worship continuously for one hundred seventy-five years. Since the sanctuary of the church contains 175 angels depicted in murals, stained glass windows, carved wood and molded plaster, the church has chosen “In the Company of Angels” as the theme for the year-long celebration.