At the heart of Second Presbyterian Church is service to the community. We attempt to reach out to the community in many ways.
- Lunch-Bag Program—serves approximately 200 lunches per week through the donations of Pret-a-Manger and food purchased from the Greater Chicago Food Depository. Volunteers are always needed from 10:00 a.m.—1:00 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursday and Friday.
- Tutoring for Middle School Youth—during the school year, Second Church provides trained tutors for students and families on a regular basis, offering help with homework, preparation for exams and tests, as well as ongoing assistance with reading, math and other subjects. Volunteers are always needed to serve as tutors.
- Rummage Sale — twice a year, Second Church hosts a huge rummage sale to distribute low-cost furniture, clothing and housewares to those in need. Volunteers are always needed.
- Liam’s Table– A local couple, their family and friends provide a home-cooked meal with all the trimmings to 100 guests each Thanksgiving. The meal is for all who are hungry or for anyone who doesn’t have a place to go for Thanksgiving dinner. All are welcome.
- Second Time Around Resale Shop— receives high quality, gently used donations of designer clothes and hats, artwork, housewares and furnishings– and sells them at bargain prices. All proceeds go to fund the mission and ministry of the outreach of the church. The shop is open Tuesday and Saturday mornings, 10:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m. and Sunday mornings, 12:00– 1:30 p.m.
- Coat and Clothing Drive— each year, the church offers warm coats, caps, mittens, scarves and clothing to our Lunch Bag program guests. The collection begins after Thanksgiving and continues through March. All items of clothing are needed and given to all in need.